By Laurie Throness
Read Online or Download A Protestant Purgatory: Theological Origins of the Penitentiary Act, 1779 PDF
Best uk history books
To this point, the Heath-Nixon years were generally portrayed as marking a low-point within the heritage of Anglo-American family members – even the top of the 'special relationship'; utilizing a wealth of archival fabric on either side of the Atlantic, and interpreting a number worldwide advancements, Allies aside deals a clean interpretation of this pivotal interval.
During this publication, first released in 1973, the editor has drawn seriously on Bentham’s manuscripts and has attempted to supply a coherent assertion of Bentham’s criminal and political notion. not like Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes or Mill, Bentham didn't write one unmarried paintings containing the elemental rules of his felony and political philosophy.
When a lot fresh examine has handled the preferred reaction to the spiritual swap ushered in throughout the mid-Tudor interval, this booklet focuses not only at the reaction to wide liturgical and doctrinal swap, but in addition appears to be like at how theological and reform messages will be applied between neighborhood leaders and civic elites.
This publication attracts jointly essays on glossy British heritage, empire, liberalism and conservatism in honour of Trevor O. Lloyd, Emeritus Professor of recent British heritage on the collage of Toronto for a few thirty years starting within the Nineteen Sixties. With Lloyd top recognized for his histories of the Empire and of family Britain, released within the brief Oxford historical past of the fashionable international sequence, in addition to his pioneering psephological research of the 1880 normal Election, the essays contain analyses of Anglo-Irish kinfolk, Florence Nightingale, Canada, muckrackers, the Primrose League and prisoners of conflict in the course of international battle II.
- The Englishwoman's Review of Social and Industrial Questions: 1893: Volume 26 (Routledge Library Editions: The Englishwoman's Review of Social and Industrial Questions)
- Education in Renaissance England: Volume 1
- Ulster Loyalism after the Good Friday Agreement: History, Identity and Change
- Lord Robert Cecil: Politician and Internationalist
- Consociational Theory: McGarry and O-Leary and the Northern Ireland Conflict: McGarry and O’Leary and the Northern Ireland conflict (Routledge Research in Comparative Politics)
Extra info for A Protestant Purgatory: Theological Origins of the Penitentiary Act, 1779